On May 24,1955, a group of concerned residents of the Reinoehlsville and Sunset areas met and formed the Rural Security Fire Company chartered by the State of Pennsylvania. The first officers were elected and approved at this time. The first officers elected were:
Russell Schell - President
Lawrence Barr - Vice President
Edgar L. Barr, Sr.- Secretary
Russell Garman - Treasurer
Durwood Hicks - Trustee
Titus Lausch - Trustee
James Morrissey - Trustee
At the next meeting the amount of dues and the meeting date were decided along with the Constitution and By-Laws being adopted. Since there were no funds other than dues, Edgar Barr Jr. offered the use of his basement for fire company activities until such time as the company could acquire property of its own.
In the ensuing months the membership considered three property sites. After many discussions, the choice was made to to purchase the old Reinoehlsville Schoolhouse property from Mr. Cikovic on the terms of $200 down and the balance at 5% interest as seen fit for the total price of $1800. Through the generous donations of property owners in the area, the property was bought. After the sale, the building was made suitable by using material from the second floor to repair the first floor at no cost to the company.
Being established in our own building, the next order was to plan and work to come an active fire fighting unit. The company joined the Lebanon County Fireman's Association in June 1956 and attended it's first Fire School Training Session. An American Flag from was donated by The American Legion Post 158, Lebanon, and a festival was held in August to raise funds. A foundation for an addition to the schoolhouse was laid as a building to house a fire truck. The addition was a 20' wide by 48' long cement block building joined on the north side of the existing building. The construction cost just under $2000 for materials, and the labor was donated at no cost by the members through their time and efforts. During the same period, there was an arrangement made with the Bethel Fire Company to purchase their old fire truck. A 1938 Chevrolet Pumper with a front mounted 500 gallon per minute pump and limited fire fighting equipment was purchased with an agreement of $1200 on delivery. At this time, there was a need to go into debt. The company borrowed the money from a local bank to pay for the building and the fire truck.
In January 1957, the members started to dig the basement three feet deeper to enable it to be used for a canteen and recreation area, as well as a boiler room. At the completion of the canteen area the main hall was used for meetings and a bingo hall to raise funds. In September a festival was held and in November a two way radio was installed in the fire truck.
In 1958 the company purchased a portable pump to be used to supply the Pumper when the water supply was at a point that the Pumper could not reach. Half of the price of the portable pump was donated by the Camp Meeting Association and Ladies Auxiliary donated the fog nozzle for the booster hose. In August the company purchased two Scott self contained Breathing Apparatus devic
In May 1959, the Ladies donated a squad truck, a GMC walk-in to be used to carry extra men and fire fighting equipment.
The men awarded Life-Time Membership Cards to the following men for services rendered:
Edgar L. Barr Jr.
Iren S. Light
In October 1959, the company joined the Pennsylvania State Fireman's Association. In March 1960 the company joined the North and South Lebanon Fireman's Relief for the protection of the active firemen in case of injury or death. The company also held two festivals that year (June 25 and August 6) to raise more needed funds. In October the company voted and allowed Junior Firemen in to membership.
In 1961 the company purchased a tank trailer from I. S. Light for $600. The tank held 5000 gallons of water and was towed by any tractor available from I. S. Light that was available at the time of an alarm. The purpose of the tanker was to supply water at a fire until a hose relay could be set up. In 1961, the company determined the need for a larger engine house to house the three pieces of apparatus the company now owned. The new section was a cement block two bay building 30' wide and 48' long connected to the existing structure. Due to the efforts of the members once again, the new section was completed for less than $3000.
In 1962, the house siren was hooked up to the Civil Defense Control System. In 1963 the kitchen facility was remodeled to assist the ladies auxiliary in the fundraising efforts for the company. In November 1964 the company acquired a used surplus tractor from the Civil Defense to pull the water tanker and the building was again remodeled to make the meeting room larger. In July the two way radio was installed in the tanker.
September of 1965 the ladies pledged $10,000 towards the purchase of a new Pumper. The truck selected was a 1967 American LaFrance Pioneer Pumper purchased for $18,666. It was equipped with a 750 gallon per minute centrifugal mid-ship pump with a 500 gallon booster tank, one booster reel with 1" hose, 1,000 feet of 2 1/2" hose, 600 feet of 1 1/2" hose including the necessary fittings.
The truck was put into service in February 1967 and the old Pumper was sold to Mr. Showers. The walk-in squad was also sold that year to another fire company. In August 1967 the Pumper rolled over on a farm lane while assisting Mt. Zion with a barn fire. Due to the accident, the Pumper was sent back to the factory for the necessary repairs. During the time it took to be repaired, Lebanon City's Independent Fire Company served our area until Jonestown received their new Pumper. At that time their old Pumper was loaned for our use until our truck was returned. In February 1968, our Pumper was returned from the factory and placed back into service.
In October 1970, the company placed the order for a new tanker. A 1971 Ford Chassis with a 2500 gallon tank was placed in service in 1971 to replace the tractor drawn tanker. The tanker was purchased for $17,380. The 1971 Ford was in service as our first due tanker until October of 2000. It remained in station as a secondary tanker until it was sold to the Highway 172 Fire Department of West Liberty, Kentucky on October 2, 2004.
In 1972, the following members were added as Life-Time Members:
Joseph Arnold Sr.
A 1986 FMC Roughneck Engine was bought in 1986 and is the current Engine in service for the company. The engine has a 1000 gallon per minute single stage pump and 750 gallon booster tank. Many additions have been made to update the piece from its original state at purchase. This piece was sold on November 25, 2010 to a private buyer from North Carolina. In it's new home, it will be repainted and have special graphic's added to be made into a rolling memorial for the soldiers of our Armed Forces that have lost there lives since the attacks of September 11, 2001. This tribute will be displayed at memorial services, parades and other military events. Pictures will be added as they are made available to us.
A 1986 Seagrave Pumper-Tanker was purchased in 2000 to be used as the primary tanker. It is equipped with a 2500 gallon tank and a Two Stage Waterous 1500 GPM pump. It has a fully enclosed cab that allows for carrying additional manpower.
In 2002, the company purchased a 1969 Chevrolet step van with a Boyertown body from the Lebanon Hook & Ladder No. 1. This piece was originally used as a Squad Truck by the Liberty Fire Company, Lebanon City Fire Department. This piece was sold to a private buyer for non fire department use in the spring of 2006. The Company took delivery of a 1996 Freightliner in October of 2006 for use as a Squad. This piece is used for rehabilitation, command post and storage of extra supplies to supplement the other pieces of apparatus. For more in information and current pictures, please visit the apparatus link at the bottom of the page.
In 2005, the company realized we were outgrowing our building in it's current condition. We at this time decided to add an additional bay to the north side of the existing building. This allowed us the room to house all the apparatus inside with more room in the station. In addition to the apparatus bay, we were also able to add a bathroom and shower facility to the apparatus side of the building, as well as a day room to allow for the members to have a place to eat and sleep in during prolonged storm events. The day room also has a conference table and is used to hold meetings and training sessions.
In May of 2010 company representatives went to look at a piece to replace the FMC. We were made aware or a 2001 American LaFrance Eagle that was available for purchase through American LaFrance. The company unanimously decided to pursue this piece, and it was bought that summer. After some refurbishing and service, the company took delivery in the early fall of 2010. Many hours went spent on driver training, pump training and laying out the Engine. On December 18, 2010 the American LaFrance went into service as the new Engine 43.
The current officers and members of the Rural Security Fire Company would like to send out a heartfelt thank you to those who were responsible for the forming of the Company. They have spent years of dedicated service in building a Company aimed at serving the community in which they live. It is our goal to uphold the high standards of fire protection, fire prevention and community service that those individuals did that make the Company what it is today.